“We will work together…”: Hindu-Muslim leaders make joint appeal for goodwill after Leicester riots

Community leaders demanded that the “hate-provoking” leave Leicester and that the incitement and violence be stopped immediately. “Our message to anyone who sows hatred between us is clear: We will not allow you to succeed,” the statement said. We ask everyone to respect the sanctity of religious places including mosques and temples equally.”

According to the statement, the acts of provocation, whether it is playing loud music, raising flags, raising abusive slogans or making attacks, should be stopped. It says, “This is not acceptable, nor do our religions say so.”

“We are a strong family, we will work together to resolve whatever concerns we have,” the statement said. We do not need the help of people from outside in the city. There is no place in Leicester for a foreign extremist ideology that creates division.” It was said that Hindus and Muslims have lived together in the city for half a century.

British police said on Tuesday that police forces were patrolling to prevent incidents of riots. Earlier, the Indian High Commissioner in London had issued a statement strongly condemning the violence against the Indian community and demanded protection to the affected people.

Leicester police said a 20-year-old man has been sentenced to 10 months in prison after he pleaded guilty to possessing a weapon during clashes in the city. Local resident Amos Noronha was arrested from the spot on Saturday and produced before the Leicester Magistrates’ Court. There was sufficient evidence against him on the basis of which the charges were framed.

Rob Nixon, the ‘temporary chief constable’ of Leicestershire Police, said the action showed that a serious crime had been committed and that he would remain in prison. “We will not tolerate this nuisance in our city,” he said. According to Nixon, police forces are deployed and information and reports are being processed and people have been assured of their safety.

He said, “We are working to keep you safe and arrest the accused. Those who have harmed our communities will be brought to justice.” According to police, Hindu-Muslim groups clashed after the India-Pakistan cricket match in Dubai as part of the Asia Cup late last month. The police have called it a ‘serious nuisance’.

Police said that police patrolling is going on in the eastern part of the city so that there is no incident of disturbance. He said that a total of 47 people have been arrested in connection with the riots in the city, some of whom are from other cities including Birmingham. The police said that it has called in police forces from the surrounding areas. The right to disperse people and to intercept and search people has been used to restore peace in the area.

Videos circulated on social media show a temple flag being lowered and glass bottles being thrown. “We strongly condemn the violence against the Indian community in Leicester and the vandalism of Hindu religious complexes and symbols,” the Indian High Commission said in a statement issued on Monday.

It said, “We have vigorously taken up this matter with the UK authorities and call for immediate action against those involved in these attacks.” We call upon the authorities to provide security to the affected people.

Migrant group Insight UK has claimed that most of the incidents of violence were due to rumors and fake news circulated on social media. Leicester Mayor Peter Soulsby said things were being distorted and shared on social media. He alleged that people from outside are instigating violence in the city.

Hindu Council UK said in a statement, “We condemn the incident of damage to Hindu temples. These are places of worship and they should not be disrespected.” According to the statement, “We call upon the Hindu community to work with the authorities to maintain peace. Leicester is known for its cultural diversity, unity and solidarity among communities.”

Also read –
, Party leader indirectly took a dig at Shashi Tharoor regarding Congress President election
, Bengaluru doctor who posted nude pictures of fiancee got death in return

(This news has not been edited by NDTV team. It has been published directly from Syndicate feed.)

Source link

Leave a Comment

%d bloggers like this: