hear the news
Punjabi singer Daler Mehndi, lodged in the Patiala Central Jail in a human trafficking case, was released on Friday. Mehndi was granted bail by the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday. Daler Mehndi did not talk to the media and quietly left in his car.
It is worth mentioning that Daler Mehndi was sentenced to two years imprisonment by the Patiala court about two months ago in the 2003 pigeon pelting case. Since then he was lodged in the same barracks in the jail where former Punjab Congress chief Navjot Singh Sidhu was kept.
A case was registered against Mehndi and his brother Shamsher Singh Mehndi by Patiala Police on the complaint of a person named Bakhshish Singh. Around 30 others had also accused the Mehndi brothers of cheating. There were allegations that both the Mehndi brothers had taken a hefty amount from them for illegally transporting them to America but later did not send them to America.
this is the case
Daler Mehndi and his brother Shamsher Singh were accused of taking people abroad by including them in their congregation. For this a huge amount was collected from the people. According to the FIR lodged at Patiala Sadar Police Station in 2003, the Mehndi brothers had formed two circles in 1998 and 1999. During this, a group of 10 people were taken to America and left there illegally. After registering the first complaint, the police had received 35 more similar complaints.
- In 2003, Bakshish Singh of village Balbeda in Patiala district had alleged in a complaint to the police that Daler had sent 10 people including three girls to America but took money from him but neither sent abroad nor returned the money.
- In this case, before Daler Mehndi, elder brother Shamsher Singh was booked for human trafficking on 19 September 2003.
- After questioning Shamsher, Patiala Police also nominated Daler
- In 2006, the Punjab Police had demanded closure of the case, saying the Mehndi brothers were innocent, but the court refused.
- After 15 years, on March 16, 2018, the court of Judicial Magistrate First Class Nidhi Saini of Patiala found Mehndi guilty of cheating and conspiracy.
- The court of Additional Sessions Judge HS Grewal, Patiala, dismissed Daler’s appeal on 14 July 2022 and upheld his two-year sentence.